Olympic Champion SAMUEL WANJIRU Caught By Wife Cheating, Jumps off Balcony

Posted on May 16, 2011


The Late Wanjiru after winning the Olympic Gold

Fresh details have emerged following the death of Kenya’s sole Olympic Marathon Champion, Samuel Wanjiru.

Wanjiru, 24, died on the wee hours of Monday the 16th May after he allegedly fell off the Balcony of his three storey house in Nyahururu.

However, Mombasa411 has reliably pieced together the details leading to his death following a phone conversation from the Central Provincial police Boss Jaspher Ombati.

Beijing Olympics....Winning The Gold

Jaspher Ombati, said Wanjiru appeared to have suffered internal injuries after the fall and was confirmed dead by doctors at a nearby hospital.

“I can confirm that Wanjiru is dead. It is not yet clear whether it was a suicide or if he jumped out of rage, or what caused him to fall to the ground,” Ombati told Reuters.

“He jumped from his first floor balcony to the ground. He was bleeding from the nose and the mouth, and may have suffered internal injuries,” the police chief said.

Ombati said police were investigating a possible love triangle that could have been behind the death of Wanjiru, a former winner of the Chicago and London marathons

Happier Times....Wanjiru with Wife, Trizah Njeri

Ombati said the athlete’s wife Triza Njeri had come home to find Wanjiru in bed with another woman, had locked the couple in the bedroom and ran outside.

Wanjiru then leapt from the balcony, he said.

Ombati said Njeri and Wanjiru’s female companion are assisting police in investigating the death.

Sources indicate that  Wanjiru spent the day drinking at a Pub in Nakuru in Kenya’s Rift Valley province and later headed home to Nyahururu.

It is further said he took his last meal at  a place called Tas in the town before he took home a prostitute named ‘Martha’.

It is said his wife then caught the two lovebirds before an argument ensued between the wife and the call girl.

The Wife then closed the door from the outside and ran away fearing a beating from the visibly angry and drunk Wanjiru.

Wanjiru then leapt to death by jumping from the window at third floor.

Police say, either, he was too drunk and leaped to death, Or he was pushed out by the call girl or he made an error in judgement as a result of being drunk and/or panic and underestimated the distance to the ground from the balcony.

The call girl has been arrested and is helping the Police with the investigations.

Last December, Wanjiru was charged in court with threatening to kill Njeri and illegal possession of an AK-47 assault rifle.

Njeri later withdrew her accusation of attempted murder against him in court, saying the couple had reconciled.

He also suffered minor injuries from a car crash in January when he swerved to avoid an oncoming truck, hit a pot hole and rolled his car.

Wanjiru defied the heat of Beijing in 2008 to triumph in an Olympic record time at the games held in China.

As a young man, Wanjiru moved to Japan in 2002 to attend high school after winning a cross country selection trial in Kenya.

Posted in: Entertainment