News that Jicho Pevu’s Mohammed Ali allegedly stole a phone in Nairobi are to say the least out-rightly unbelievable.
The KTN’s award winning investigative journalist Mohammed Ali of the Jicho Pevu fame was Monday 14th May charged in a Nairobi court for allegedly stealing a mobile phone worth Sh100,000.
The KTN chief investigative editor appeared at the Milimani Law Courts on Monday morning where he denied the charges before Chief Magistrate Esther Maina and was released on a Sh50,000 cash bail.
He was accused of having stolen the mobile phone on diverse dates between June 14, 2011 and 6 July 2011 from Al Mana Electronics on Luthuli Avenue in Nairobi.
Sources saysomebody approached Ali’s friend eight months ago and offered to sell him the gadget that according to the seller “had been sent from his sister in the United Kingdom”. On inspecting the phone, it appeared to be new and the friend bought and handed it to the controversial reporter.
Months later, when Ali was in Uganda, he was called by police officers to inform him that they were investigating allegations that he was in possession of a ‘‘stolen phone”. Ali told the officers that he was in Uganda and upon return to Nairobi, he would report to Nairobi’s Central Police Station.
On Friday, he was contacted and informed that police would charge him with possession of a stolen property, which is an offense under the penal code. Sources told the Jackal News that the whole scenario reeks of “a plot to set-up the journalist” who, in an investigative report, accused the police of complicity in drugs trade.
These raises questions:
- Why are the charges against Mohammed being preferred now?
- Was the phone reported missing @ the said time?
- For a man of Mohammed’s caliber, one who knows his face is known all over Kenya, is a leading shop in a busy Nairobi street the best place to ‘steal’ a phone…would he take such a risk?
- Did a phone theft investigation have to take a whole 10 months before the ‘thief’ is identified?
- Could someone be having a score to settle with Mohammed?
- Is someone trying to assassinate his character and/or credibility in light of future expose’s?
What do you think?